Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pop quiz: What's a mandolin?

Here is our overdue Parker update.

If you don't know the answer to the question in the title of this post, don't feel too bad - if someone one had asked me two weeks ago, I wouldn't have had a clue either.

The answer: It's the instrument Parker has started learning to play.



He wanted to learn the guitar, but when a friend from church offered to loan him a mandolin and give him free lessons - we couldn't say no!

Parker has also been exploring his budding computer tech skills by taking apart (and putting back together) his grandma's laptop that died.



He was concentrating so well that I doubt he was even aware I was taking these pictures.



Notice his tongue sticking out in this next pic. I think boys in this family just can't help doing that when they are working. (If I were more blog savvy, I'd put a little link here to a similar post of Lincoln doing playdough last year - somebody showed me, but I've already forgotten!).




As Parker's wolf den leader, I'm usually too busy leading the activity to remember to take pictures. But last week I asked one of the fathers to take a few shots:



Learning the names and functions of many basic tools:



He has a fun time with the other two cub scouts in his den (he joined a pack that kids from his school attend because there are no boys cub-scout-age at our church).




I just noticed that he is wearing dark blue in all these pics - guess you can tell that's his favorite color.

He lost his fifth tooth last week and it was the first time he pulled one out without any help - a fact he was very proud of. However, there's still no sign of his top front permanent teeth coming in - I think he is a little concerned that he will have a gummy smile for years.



(He took the picture above himself).


Finally, since it's hard for me to do any post without a picture of my toddlers, here's a shot Todd took of the three of us about 5 minutes after we all woke up the other day:

No comments:

Post a Comment