Thursday, February 18, 2010

My two favorite missionaries

This trip reminded me of how lucky I am to have such awesome parents. Sometimes when they feel a little sad that they cannot be with us for big events (like births, graduations, etc.) while they are away, I just remind them that being on a mission is the very BEST thing they could be doing for me right now. Their sacrifice brings blessings not only to them but to their kids & grandkids as well - blessings that I certainly couldn't do without. So thanks, Mom and Dad!




We timed our visit so that one event Mom and Dad wouldn't have to miss after all was Anndra's baby blessing.




I really enjoyed attending their branch and meeting all the wonderful people they serve with on a regular basis. Being in a country where the church is still so 'young' (the very first Slovene to ever be baptized is a member of their branch)... was a great experience because you can feel their pioneer spirit.

It snowed SO MUCH the Saturday night that we were there. We were afraid church would be canceled and figured we'd just have the blessing in Mom and Dad's apartment. Thankfully, it stopped in time for the roads to be cleared - and I'm glad because that Sunday was definitely a highlight of the trip!




Now, just as a side note: tomorrow's Slovenia post is going to be more of the beautiful places we saw - but I have to confess that by "we" I mostly mean Todd. It was so cold that when we went sight-seeing, Mom and I usually stayed in the warm car with the baby while Dad and Todd tromped out into the wind and snow to take pictures. Although, as you can probably tell from the pic below, my honey was LOVING that weather.




There were even a couple of days that we three girls just stayed home while the boys went to play. I've told a lot of my friends here in Florida that it was the best vacation of my life - I think that is because I got to do what I needed more than anything else in the world: eat, nap, chat with my Mom, and have time to just love my baby.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the WORST friend ever! I have been meaning to write and check up on the Shumards forever! Looks like you had a wonderful trip! I'm glad Todd enjoyed the snow and ice so much....we still think that is wrong. ;) Anndra look so pretty in her blessing dress. How fun for your parents to witness that. Anndra reminds me of Parker when he was that age. So cute. Maybe I can talk Brad into a summer trip to Florida this year--would love to see your growing family and let the boys wrestle! So happy you were able to REST on vacation--that is very hard to do on vacation! Loved the pictures of your trip-- absolutely gorgeous. Like I have always said snow is very pretty....as long as you have no place to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a wonderfully sweet post. I loved it all. In fact, I'm trying not to weep, lady. :) so happy you could just BE with your mom and dad. (and I LOVED that big grin on Todd's face in the winter weather. he's crazy, does he know that?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying (just a little) I'm so happy for you guys! I can imagine what heaven eating, napping, chatting with mom, and loving your beautiful baby girl must have been! I'm SO happy that you got to have that experience! I love that last picture...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like our time together, you've really captured the sweetness that family can bring! My arms were sooooo happy - Such a privilege to hold our little girl!

    ReplyDelete